Join our Team
Job openings for 911 Call-takers and Dispatchers are posted through the San Juan County Human Resources Department (San Juan County website www.sjcounty.net). We do at least two hiring cycles per year. We have also periodically advertised in the local newspaper and on the radio. Additionally, we attend several job fairs in the area and recruit through our booth each year at the County Fair. We also encourage our current employees to recruit likely candidates for us, which has been very successful.
Once the job posting is closed we respond back to all applicants with an email advising them of the first step of the process, which is a mandatory pre-test orientation. This orientation takes place here at the communications center and lasts about ninty minutes. In the orientation we lay out the steps of our testing process, but our main focus is on informing applicants about the realities of our profession. We also provide about a ten minute tour of the dispatch floor. The core purpose of this orientation is to provide a reality check for applicants.
Our testing process consists of the following steps:
- First interview: (A four person panel/about ten minutes in length and candidates must provide a certified typing test (40 wpm or better) and photo I.D).
- Ergometrics video test (This test takes two and a half hours to complete)
- Second interview: (With the Director and Operations Manager/about thirty minutes in length)
- Background check/Criminal history check
- Conditional Job offer
- Psychological assessment (Dr. Koehler in Farmington, NM)
- Drug Screen/Physical/Hearing test
- Final job offer